Frequently Asked Questions
If you have any questions or concerns, you are not alone. Check out this page to see if your question is already answered or can be answered through different ways to communicate with Academic Advising staff.
It is our belief that every student is capable of achieving personal, academic and professional success. Therefore, Advising Services is dedicated to helping current and prospective students set realistic goals that will guide the development and completion of an academic plan, while promoting autonomy and personal responsibility for decision-making and overall academic success. In an effort to provide efficient and effective advising services, we are committed to supporting the institution's faculty and staff advisors through continuous training and development.
What is Academic Advising?
- Academic advising is a developmental process which assists students in the clarification of their life/career goals and in the development of educational plans for the realization of these goals.
- It is a decision-making process by which students realize their maximum educational potential through communication and information exchanges with an advisor; it is ongoing, multifaceted, and the responsibility of both student and advisor.
- The advisor serves as a facilitator of communication, a coordinator of learning experiences through course and career planning and academic progress review, and an agent of referral to other campus agencies as necessary
David S. Crockett, Ed. (1987). Advising Skills, Techniques and Resources: A Compilation of Materials Related to the Organization and Delivery of Advising Services. Iowa City, Iowa . ACT Corporation.
What is the Purpose of Advising?
- It assists in the process of defining life and career goals
- It helps students to create an education plan
- It monitors progression toward completion of the student's academic program
- It teaches students to take ownership of and responsibility for their education
- It promotes the creation of a meaningful relationship between student and faculty
When should I see my advisor?
- To see about your grade in a class
- To see your progression towards graduation
- To add, drop, or withdraw from a class
- To change your program of study
- To learn about OCtech's policies and procedures
- To discuss your level of Academic Probation
- To discuss job opportunities within your program
- To discuss transferring to another college
- To discuss class placement due to test scores
- To set up e-plans in your Campus Cruiser
- To discuss options in taking a semester off of classes
Location: Building S - Student and Community Life Center
Advising Hours by Appointment:
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. (No Appointments on Fridays.)
Location: Building S - Student and Community Life Center Location: Building S - Student and Community Life Center