Peer Advising Program
The purpose of the Peer Advising Program is to encourage academically advanced students to teach their peers how to be autonomous and self-reliant, and to take personal responsibility for their academic and career goals. To advance this purpose, Peer Advisors will volunteer in the Student Success Center/Academic Advising during periods of advising and registration. The Peer Advisor’s main initiative will be to assist students with online registration via Campus Cruiser. This position will also include the following responsibilities and/or requirements:
- Attend all required Peer Advisor training sessions
- Maintain good academic standing
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of relevant academic information and resources
- Serve as an ambassador for the Advising Center helping students to understand the importance of advising, academic and career planning
- Show up on time for volunteer shifts
- Assist Student Services staff with student learning events
- Answer student questions about registration via LiveChat
- Greet students with a warm and positive attitude, and help or direct students to the appropriate resources in an effort to create a positive learning environment
- Address each student’s needs seriously and with confidentiality
- Monitor the reception area and sign-in sheet
- Schedule appointments with staff advisors for complex advising and registration issues
- Manage cleanliness and safety of computers and printers
Peer Advisors must possess the following attributes:
- Self-motivated, friendly, outgoing and willing to help others
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers and prospective students, parents, faculty, and staff
- Completion of at least one semester and currently enrolled as an OCtech degree seeking student
- 3.0 cumulative GPA (preferred)
Selection as a Peer Advisor is an honor. Our volunteers will enjoy many benefits and rewards!
Peer Advisors will receive training to ensure delivery of accurate information, and satisfactory and efficient customer service to new and current students. Training will prepare Peer Advisors to assist students with online registration via Campus Cruiser and to refer students to the appropriate campus resources, such as Counseling and Disability Services, Financial Aid, TRIO, the Business Office, etc.
Availability of Peer Advisors
The Advising Center is open Monday-Thursday from 8:00am-6:00pm. Peer Advisors will volunteer during these hours and individual volunteer schedules will be created to avoid conflict with class, work and extracurricular schedules.
Students who are interested in volunteering as a Peer Advisor must complete and submit the following to Student Services. The application period for this current year has expired.
- Peer Advisor application
- Personal statement highlighting academic and career goals, leadership and/or work experience, motivation for applying, and any academic or professional extracurricular responsibilities.
- Current resume
- Transcript (unofficial acceptable)