– One on One Teaching by Trained Adult Tutors
– Confidence Building
– Adults helping Adults
– Learning Basic Literacy Skills: Reading, Writing, Math, Computer & English as a Second Language (ESL)
– Completing Goals to achieve lifelong Hopes and Dreams
ORANGEBURG COUNTY ADULT LITERACY WANTS:
Interested Adult Citizens of Orangeburg County to Eliminate Illiteracy in Orangeburg County
How? By Encouraging Each County Resident to Continue His/her Education as far as Possible By Volunteering to Tutor Adult Learners How to Read and Write learn Basic Math and Basic Computer Skills and Provide Non-English Speaking Adults Opportunity to Learn English as a Second Language.
Tutoring Job Description
Type of work:
One on one tutorings
To help an adult eighteen years of age or older to acquire basic reading, writing, and math skills and to use those skills to meet self-identified goals.
6 hours of pre-service basic literacy tutor workshop required; participate in periodic in-service training service – strongly encouraged.
Place of work:
One on one tutoring will occur in a learning center or in a neutral place in the community.
The volunteer tutor and student should meet a minimum of 2 hours weekly.
Duration of work:
A commitment of 9-12 months.
- Meet regularly and punctually as scheduled.
- Be well prepared for each tutoring session.
- Review lessons & keep records of student’s progress.
- Report to the director student’s progress and any change in schedule.
- Provide encouragement and support.