Steps to Admissions Testing
- Meet with an Admissions Counselor (Office of Admissions in Building S) to receive a testing slip for the required test.
- If the test has a dollar amount associated with it, take that testing slip to the Cashier's desk (Atrium of Building S) to pay for the test (Financial Aid will not cover any testing cost). A receipt that you have paid for the test will be attached to the slip, and is required for placement retests and certain admissions examinations.
- Take your slip and a photo ID, such as driver's license, to the Testing Center (second floor of Building B). Students required to take placement tests do not need to make an appointment prior to arrival. Placement tests are given on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on seat availability in the Testing Center.
- You will receive immediate scores for your testing. Keep the copy of your scores that the Testing Center will give you. If the scores are stapled shut, such as the Bio test, do not open them. Take your scores to an Admissions Counselor, who will either accept you to the college or go over your placement with you. These scores will be used by your advisor to determine the classes you should take.
Types of Tests
BIO Placement Test
- This test is given, one time only, to any student who wants to begin OCtech's sequence of Anatomy and Physiology biology courses.
- You are REQUIRED to take the Biology placement test unless you have college level placement from a previous placement test (such as the Compass, SAT, or ACT), have a bachelor’s degree or higher; have successfully completed Bio 101 and Bio 102; or are transferring into Bio 210 or higher.
- You cannot take the Biology placement test once you have begun the Biology sequence at OCtech.
- This test is 36 questions on pencil and paper. The test is not timed, but it should take you no longer than 1-1/2 hours to complete.
ATI Test Taking Tips
- Version 5.0 is the required test for admissions into a competitive Health Science program (other tests may be substituted in the event of meeting score requirements - check your individual program for test score requirements). You can only take this test 2 times in an application period. Scores are good forever.
- You only need the math and reading portions of the test for OCtech Health Sciences admissions. This portion of the test should take you 1-1/2 to 2 hours to complete.
Important Testing Facts
- Food, drink, cell phones, pagers, etc. are prohibited in the Testing Center.
- Children may not stay with you while you are testing. Children may not be left unattended on the campus of OCtech.
- Be prepared to finish the test in one administration. Bathroom breaks are not allowed during a test (exceptions must be authorized by the proctor on duty).
- Come prepared to take the test when you arrive at the Testing Center. We strongly encourage you to study and look over the test tips sheet for the required test.
Office of Admissions