The following work-study positions are open for applications. Applicants must meet the following requirements to apply:
• You must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours at Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College
• You must have a 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid completed and on file at Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College.
• You must be eligible for a federal work-study award.
• You must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress. (Students on Probation II or with a GPA lower than 2.0 are not eligible for work-study.)
If you meet the above requirements, please review, the position openings below, complete the Application for College Work-Study below and be sure to list your top three position choices on the application. If you are eligible for work-study, your application will then be forwarded to the hiring officers for the positions listed on your application. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring officer will call you to arrange an appointment.
APPLY HERE.For all inquiries, please contact Ms. Johnson, Work-Study Coordinator, at 803-535-1223.
TITLE OF THE POSITION: College Work Study
DEPARTMENT: Corporate Training & Economic Development
SUPERVISOR: Sandra Moore
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: Administrative Duties (Paper Intensive Job Duties)
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY: Answering Phone, Maintaining Files, Internal Auditing, Collecting Data & Manipulating Data and Generating Reports
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES: Strong Computer Skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) QUALIFICATIONS: Comes to work on time, has effective communication skills and requires minimal supervision.
TITLE OF THE POSITION: Work Study
SUPERVISOR: Harris Murray
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY: (training for all duties will be provided):
1. Shelve items and read shelves for correct classification order
2. Process new books.
a. Affix prepared labels to items.
b. Cover barcodes and labels.
c. Stamp pockets with Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College stamp, insert security tag, write barcode number, and attach to back inside page of book.
d. Stamp book with State Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education stamp.
e. For reference books only: do steps a and b and d.
DO NOT attach pocket, but place security sticker on back inside page and stamp with “For Reference Only” stamp.
f. Laminate book covers as needed.g. Place completed books on New Book shelf.
3. Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to:a. Weeding and discarding booksb. Inventoryc. Copyingd. Updating collectione. Monitoring front desk as requested by staff
4. Assist with interlibrary loan activities:f. Check in itemsg. Return itemsh. Record all pertinent data on Excel spreadsheet
5. Computer skills required:a. Microsoft Word (proficient)b. Microsoft Excel (proficient)c. Ability to learn specific library software, including circulation and label programs.
1. Punctuality: arrive at work on time; notify supervisor of necessary absences ahead of time. Telephone if there is an emergency
.2. Consistency: Sign in/sign out daily (or each day of work); failure to do so may result in loss of pay)
3. Concentration: ability to work quietly and independently; strong attention to detail; ability to manage multiple tasks in a timely manner.
4. Respect: strong ability to work with students, faculty and staff; follow guidelines established for Library work study students; appropriate dress at all times.
5. Courtesy: acknowledge all library visitors with respect and courtesy. Contact Library employee if any problems or potential problems arise.
6. Initiative: ask for additional duties when required duties are completed.
7. Phone etiquette: good, clear speaking voice; courtesy and service-oriented attitude
.8. Teamwork: ability and willingness to work with Library staff and other work study students to achieve service goals.
TITLE OF THE POSITION: Office Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Student Services
SUPERVISOR: Crystal Edmonds
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: Operate basic office equipment (copiers, computers, fax machines); interact with faculty, staff, students, and people from the local public; check student and community identification prior to picking up transcripts, enrollment verifications, degrees, etc; data entry; file documents; Assist students in Advising Center with Campus Cruiser & OCtech Connect account setup. Answer Student Services telephone, answer questions from student walk-ins; and work on special projects as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: Should have experience with basic Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and be able to work in a multitask environment. Strong interactive communication abilities and a professional performance are critical. Hours can be scheduled around classes between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. each Friday. Rare evening hours may be required.
TITLE OF THE POSITION: Business Math Tutor
SUPERVISOR: Marilyn Amaker
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: Tutor will assist Business Math students with assignments as requested by students, teachers, or counselors. Assistance includes helping students to understand Business Math concepts, terms, formulas, and calculations. Tutor will be expected to promote understanding of course material and encourage critical thinking, while guiding students through completion of assignments. Tutor must be careful not to complete assignments for students.
QUALIFICATIONS: Tutor should have successfully completed BUS 140 – Business Mathematics.