OCtech admits students with advanced standing by transfer of credits from other regionally accredited technical institutions, colleges or universities. An official transcript of the work completed at all post-secondary institutions attended must be filed with the Registrar together with the application for admission. When official transcripts are received at Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College, the Registrar will review the transcript and award appropriate transfer credit based on the following procedure:
- The college transfer guide and college catalog are used as resources to determine parallel coursework completed at other post-secondary institutions and OCtech.
- In order to transfer credit, a grade of C or better must have been earned in the course from a nationally or regionally accredited college or institution of higher learning.
- Generally, credits over 7 years old may not be accepted; however, they may be received by appealing this decision to the Transfer Credit Review Committee.
- Applicants may transfer as much as 75% of the program requirement, but must complete their last two semesters of coursework in their curriculum in a two-year program and one semester of coursework in a one-year program at OCtech.
- Placement test requirements for transfer students are the same as for new students.
- When questions arise concerning the course title or content, the academic department head at OCtech of the curriculum for which the student is enrolled is contacted to review the transcript. Credit is then awarded based upon the recommendation of the OCtech academic department head. The student is notified, in writing, of coursework that has been accepted for transfer credit. This letter is mailed from the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the term in which the official transcript was received.
Transfer Credit Appeal Procedure
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College desires to award transfer credit to students to the fullest extent possible within the guidelines of the Transfer Credit Policy of the college. When official transcripts are received, the Registrar will review all transcripts and award transfer credit as appropriate.
The student may appeal the decision of the Registrar to a review committee composed of the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the University Transfer Program Coordinator. The decision of the review committee is final.
A written request and justification for an appeal should be addressed to the Transfer Credit Review Committee and sent to:
Transfer Credit Review Committee
Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs
Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College
3250 St. Matthews Road
Orangeburg, SC 29118-8299
Any student wishing to transfer credits from OCtech to another post-secondary institution should contact the Director of Admissions or other appropriate personnel of that college to determine the requirements of that institution as well as what courses are transferable. Students are encouraged to obtain in writing the requirements and commitments of that college.