Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College offers an excellent training program for beginning commercial motor vehicle drivers. The curriculum incorporates classroom instruction in a modern facility; media based learning strategies, and hands-on guidance to fully prepare students for the South Carolina Commercial Driver’s License examination. Entry into the program is competitive, and may require additional documentation for consideration. Both federal and state financial aid is available to qualified students.
The mission of the program is to provide professional comprehensive training offered by state certified instructors for individuals at all levels of experience. Instruction focuses on safety and flexibility, resulting in the achievement of sustainable employment and competitive wages for students as a commercial motor vehicle license carrier. Students also learn the basics of the business of Truck Driving.
Students are required to sign a program contract, which includes the wearing of appropriate safety-related apparel.
The following items are not provided and must be purchased by the student.
- 1 safety vest
- 1 log book ruler
- Shoes with closed heels and toes, preferably boots or sneakers.
- Current Copy of your South Carolina Driver’s License
- Current official 10 year driver record acquired by OCtech
- Workkeys assessment scores less than 5 years old from date of enrollment
- Fluent in the English language, both spoken and written
- Ability to pass the Department of Transportation physical and drug screen with a minimum of 20/40 vision in each eye with or without corrective lenses, and no defects or diseases that would interfere with safely operating the equipment used throughout the training
- Completion of TDR 101 is a requirement prior to attending TDR 102 and TDR 103