$99 (includes book)
The National Safety Council’s 8-Hour Defensive Driving Course is an accredited point reduction program that is listed by name under SC Code 56-1-770.
“Any driver who has accumulated points under the provisions of this article shall have the number of his points reduced by four upon proving to the satisfaction of the Department of Public Safety that he has completed the National Safety Council’s “Defensive Driving Course” or its equivalent, if the course is completed after the points have been assessed.”
- Standardized material
- Well-trained and monitored Instructors
- This course is offered and accepted nationally and internationally
South Carolina Point Reduction Program
Completion of the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving 8-Hour Course can be used for up to a four point reduction in a driver’s Motor Vehicle Record. (This information only applies to individuals with a valid South Carolina Drivers License.) Effective September 28, 2009, South Carolina drivers seeking to reduce their points and avoid suspension by attending a defensive driving course must complete the course before the suspension begins. They will have 30 days from the date of the suspension notice until the date the suspension begins. Once the suspension begins, the point reduction will not cancel the suspension. Points may still only be reduced once in a three-year period.
- If the violation date is before the Defensive Driving Course completion date, credit of up to four points will be given. All violations occurring after the completion date of the course will not be accepted.
- Point reduction is good once every three (3) years.
- If an individual has one, two, or three points assessed against his/her Motor Vehicle Record and the individual requests point reduction, he/she will be given however many points showing on their MVR at this time, and will not be eligible to receive point reduction again for three (3) years.
- South Carolina law allows up to twelve (12) points before license suspension occurs.
- The Defensive Driving Course is taught throughout South Carolina at the Technical College System locations. Individuals completing the Defensive Driving Course at any of these locations will automatically receive a point reduction unless they request otherwise. All Technical College point reduction rosters are submitted weekly to the South Carolina Highway Department. All individuals completing a Defensive Driving Course through any other organization or state may receive point reduction by mailing a copy of their National Safety Council Defensive Driving 8-Hour Completion Certificate (please do not send the original) with a money order for $20.00 to the National Safety Council, South Carolina Chapter, 121 Ministry Drive, Irmo, SC 29063. We will accept a fax copy that accompanies a credit card number. (VISA, MasterCard, Discover)
- All questions regarding driver license status or violation information should be referred to Driver Service at 803-896- 5000.
To register, contact Corporate Training at 803-535-1236.
All classes meet on Tuesday and Thursday.
You must attend both classes.
Class times: 6-10pm
|2024 Class Schedule
|February 13, 15
|March 12, 14
|April 9, 11
|May 14, 16
|June 11, 13
|July 9, 11
|August 13, 15
|September 10, 12
|October 8, 10
|November 12, 14
|December 3, 5