Academic Advisors do just that. We help you make a plan that sees you through from your first day to graduation day.
It is vital that you meet with your academic advisor. We don’t tell you what to do, we help you do what YOU want.
Meet with an Advising Center Counselor in the Student Services office.
- The Advising Center Counselor will discuss program/degree requirements, placement scores and work with you to create a 1st semester academic plan.
- You’ll learn about additional test preparation options and roadmaps to success.
- The advising process (i.e., assignment of academic advisor, advising preparation, importance of advising, etc.) will be fully explained and you can get answers to any questions you may have.
Schedule a Meeting for Success:
Appointments are strongly recommended, but walk-ins are welcome. Please call to schedule an appointment.
- Location: Building S – Student and Community Life Center
Monday – Thursday: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am – 1:30 pm
- Academic advising is a developmental process which assists students in the clarification of their life/career goals and in the development of educational plans for the realization of these goals.
- It is a decision-making process by which students realize their maximum educational potential through communication and information exchanges with an advisor; it is ongoing, multifaceted, and the responsibility of both student and advisor.
- The advisor serves as a facilitator of communication, a coordinator of learning experiences through course and career planning and academic progress review, and an agent of referral to other campus agencies as necessary.
David S. Crockett, Ed. (1987). Advising Skills, Techniques and Resources: A Compilation of Materials Related to the Organization and Delivery of Advising Services. Iowa City, Iowa . ACT Corporation.
- It assists in the process of defining life and career goals
- It helps students to create an education plan
- It monitors progression toward completion of the student’s academic program
- It teaches students to take ownership of and responsibility for their education
- It promotes the creation of a meaningful relationship between student and faculty
- To see about your grade in a class
- To see your progression towards graduation
- To add, drop, or withdraw from a class
- To change your program of study
- To learn about OCtech’s policies and procedures
- To discuss your level of Academic Probation
- To discuss job opportunities within your program
- To discuss transferring to another college
- To discuss class placement due to test scores
- To set up e-plans in your OCtech Connect
- To discuss options in taking a semester off of classes
Your faculty advisor’s name and email address is available through OCtech Connect (this allows you to email your advisor to schedule an appointment)
- login to Connect, select Self Service
- under Communication, select Who is My Advisor(s)
Once you have confirmed your advisors assignment on OCtech Connect you should be able to email your advisor asking for an appointment. It is your responsibility to email your advisor to schedule an advising appointment.
Generally, no. One objective of advising is that the student build a relationship with his/her assigned academic advisor. However, there are circumstances that may require you to meet with another advisor within your program.
Most advisors will accept telephone calls or emails. Please check with your assigned advisor to determine their individual preference.
Print and review your program evaluation, and plan a tentative schedule for the upcoming semester. Please review the Student Tutorials under Student Resources for instructions on printing a program evaluation and searching for classes.
Yes. All students must consult with their Faculty Advisor before they register for classes. Advisors must approve classes in an educational plan on your OCtech Connect account so you can register for them. Make time for this meeting so you can discuss goals, progression of your degree, and any issues that you have been having so you can plan your schedule accordingly for the upcoming semester. Meet with your Faculty Advisor early to register on time and avoid late fees.
It is your responsibility to register for classes in your OCtech Connect account.
Before classes start you can make changes to your schedule via OCtech Connect account. After classes start you must see Records (Building S – Student Services) to make any changes to your class schedule. Similarly, to withdraw from a class you must see Records.