Learn HVAC/R Systems by Simulation
For HVAC/R Field Technicians, keeping up with increasingly rapid and complex changes in technology represents a significant challenge. Simulation is a proven method to accelerate your learning by mimicking field conditions in a virtual environment. In this 100% online course, you will practice servicing, maintaining, and troubleshooting common HVAC/R scenarios in true-to-life situations that simulate service calls. Upon completion, you will test your skills in 12 assessment simulations to prove your new capabilities.
Job Outlook for HVAC/R Simulations for Field Technicians
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics expects demand for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers to grow by 4% between now and 2029, about as fast as the growth rate for all jobs. However, the BLS notes that growth in the number and sophistication of climate-control systems will increase demand for specifically-qualified HVAC/R technicians.
- According to ZipRecruiter.com, HVAC/R Technicians in the US earn around $49,242 per year, on average. The site reports that the pay range for technicians can vary by as much as $17,000 per year based on increased skills and technical knowledge, along with location and years of experience.
HVAC/R Simulations for Field Technicians FAQs
WHICH HVAC/R SYSTEMS ARE AVAILABLE FOR SIMULATION TRAINING?
Simulation training covers seven pieces of HVAC/R equipment. This course includes approximately 200 scenarios that simulate service calls on the following:
- Gas Furnace
- Oil Furnace
- Gas Boiler
- Split Residential A/C
- Commercial A/C
- Heat Pumps
- Commercial Walk-in Freezers
IS SIMULATION AN EFFECTIVE WAY TO LEARN HVAC/R SYSTEMS?
Because effective simulations use the same concepts, tools and physical movements as real life, simulation is considered a very effective way to learn hands-on skills. Learning experts say that simulation provides the combination of challenge and repetition that helps many learners master procedures faster and more effectively.
WHAT SKILLS CAN I LEARN THROUGH HVAC/R SIMULATION?
HVAC/R simulation training involves the same skills and processes as your real-life work assignments. This course includes scenarios that simulate installation, diagnosis and troubleshooting on HVAC/R equipment in a virtual environment.
- Measure voltage, current, and resistance in electric circuits
- Properly install an air-conditioning system and put it into operation
- Troubleshoot mechanical problems in an air-conditioning system
- Troubleshoot electrical problems in an air-conditioning system
- Troubleshoot electrical and mechanical problems in heat pump systems
- The use of simulations allows you to get as close to “real world” troubleshooting scenarios as possible without an actual HVAC/R unit or system
- The scenarios may be repeated as many times as needed to hone troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
Prerequisites and Requirements
There is no prerequisite for this course. While anyone training for an HVAC/R career would benefit, the simulations are geared to those with two or more years of experience in the field or a working knowledge of HVAC/R systems.
Registration and Enrollment
This course is 100% online. Start anytime.
Mike Baker has been an instructor since 2011. Previously, he was HVAC Program Director at both Virginia College and Vista College. Baker was an HVAC technician for several decades and has experience hiring, training, and managing HVAC Technicians. He holds numerous HVAC Excellence certifications, several Green Mechanical Council certifications, an EPA 608 Universal certification, and Emerson Climate Technology certifications. He has served as both an HVAC Excellence Instructor and Exam Proctor.